Re: [OM] XA problems; Why can't digital cameras be more like film came

Subject: Re: [OM] XA problems; Why can't digital cameras be more like film cameras?
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:42:58 -0800
>John Lind wrote:If you feel you're completely in control of everything that
makes
the photograph and you're reliably realizing what you've visualized for
your photographs, then keep doing what you're doing.<

John,
I continually grapple with "realizing what I visualize."  I think this is
true for most of us.  One of the charms/pains of the pursuit of fine
photographs is achieving that "realization."  And, when one thinks they
"have it" others may not see it our way.  In the final analysis, it seems to
me that one has to be sincerely instrospective vis a vis one's photography
and if one is satisfied, then the realization has happened.

I have taken, what to me, and family members were some lovely photos with
everything from an XA to the E-20.  Most of the effort is in "seeing" and
then getting it on film or bytes.  Film or bytes, it doesn't matter.  What
matters is that you have an image that portrays what you envisioned.

I agree that Corporate Marketing is the source of the dilution of much that
is good.  We could spend countless hours discussing this issue.  A Brownie
Hawkeye or an E-20 is a tool.  Just as a chisle is a tool; in the hands of
Michelangelo achieved mortality.  But it wasn't the chisle, it was the hand
that held it.

So, we use our OMs and our other instruments in the quest to either be
noticed or praised or satisfy our own muse.  Whatever it is, it sure is food
for thought and alot of fun if you let it be that.

Dave Dougherty