Re: [OM] Hawaii recommendations (another travel kit..)

Subject: Re: [OM] Hawaii recommendations (another travel kit..)
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:54:33 +0000
I was in Maui early September for a few days. If Maui
is in your itn., the one sight you don't want to
miss is sunrise over Mt. Haleakala, a sight that
Mark Twain described as "the sublimest (thats right,
sublim-est) sight that I have ever seen..", and also,
"..the memory of which will be with me always..".
That should be inspiration enough for anyone. I had to
get out of bed at 2:45AM, drive some 35 miles, which took
almost two hours climbing from sea level to 10,000+ ft
in the process (America's steepest drive), and was there
just before dawn. The site that you will see will justi-
fy all the trouble of getting there.
In fact one of the hardest(if not-the hardest) thing
about photography is getting one's butt out of bed. And
have missed many a shot because of that. But if you are
going to spend all that money/time/effort in getting to
Hawaii, let not the desire for a couple more hours of
sleep hold you back.

Sunset in west Maui can be spectacular. I took few of
shots at Lahaina beach. If you have a 2 stop graduated
ND, well and good, but even without that you should get
very good pics. Oh I just scrolled down and read that you
would be taking print film only, in that case forget the
filter.

I quit a third of the  way through to Hana as it started
pouring and the drive can be a little dangerous. Hana is
reputedly very nice and should not be missed.

I took only Provia 100F with me and they came out ok.
I have been too lazy to scan and put the pictures up,
maybe I will do that one of these days..

-Tim