[OM] Hey gang! and an OM4 T question

Subject: [OM] Hey gang! and an OM4 T question
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 00:31:39 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Zuiks and Zuikettes,

Well, the clocks have been set back, and now its dark at 6 PM....summer is finally over, and now that its getting dark much earlier, I now have time in the evenings to devote to (trying to) keep up with the list again. It has been a busy summer, did a lot of bicycling and motorcycling and three track days, including one at Laguna Seca, which, as Mike Veglia will tell you, is one of the coolest tracks in the Whole World. But what I haven't been doing is reading the list....just no time for a busy guy...C'est la vie! :-)

Hope you are all well, it was good to see familiar names that are still on the list.

While I have been very busy, I HAVE also been doing a lot of photo related stuff.

I did a lot of work with the telephotos I acquired over the last winter from some of you at the World Superbike races at Laguna Seca in July.

CH Ling, that Zuiko 300 is one beautiful hunk of glass!

Sometime in August I caved and bought a slide scanner, a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II. I have been working with it quite a lot and I am getting better at using it and getting the results I want out of it. Overall, I am very pleased with the results that I have been getting from it. Using it to scan slides and print on my Epson 820, I am getting some beautiful output...really just stunning.

For those interested, you can see some OM photography and slide scans produced with the DSEII here:

Here is a shot of a hand-carved carousel horse taken at Yerba Buena Gardens last April. It is also one of the very first photos I have ever taken with my OM-2S:
http://www.pbase.com/image/6615310

MIke Veglia,
This shot is for you, buddy! It's a 1985 Lancia LC2 Group C car that I took at the FIA 6 hr at Brands Hatch in October 1985. The drivers were Bruno Giacomelli and Andrea DeCesaris. Shot with my OM-1 and the venerable 75-150mm zoom (is Damon still here? He always liked that lens, too) with Kodachrome 64:

http://www.pbase.com/image/6615678

For those of you that would like to see some of the motorcycle racing I shot at the World Superbike races I referred to above, you can go here:
http://www.pbase.com/pumacat/wsbk_laguna_02

Everything was shot with the OM-2S and Fuji Provia 100 RDPIII, the only film I use of late....

These were the very first slides I scanned with the Minolta Scanner, and was still learning on getting the best from it, so the photos are a bit "uneven" with respect to color management, etc. etc. But things are getting better all the time....

How is the TOPE series going? Which one are we on now? I want to get involved with that again...

MIke Butler and Jim Brokaw, when is the next photo swap meet in the San Jose area?

OT (off topic) comment:
Winsor, that Contax T3 is just frickin' amazing! I just shot some stuff with it last on my Tahoe vacation and last Sunday and was just blown away with the results. I will post some stuff and send you the link.

Back on-topic:

My Olympus C4040Z was stolen out of my hotel room in Baltimore while I was at the Human Genetics meeting the week before last....grrr....I had the hotel security start an investigation, but of course, things have come up empty handed.

I did get some nice photos of it while I had it...here's a nice dual portrait I took at the World Superbike races of Nicky Hayden and Jim Allen, the Dunlop tire guy....I am impressed with the sharpness and excellent color this camera displayed.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/motorcycles/large/NickyandJim.jpg

It's maddening and frustrating it's gone... :-(

Okay, here's my OM4 T question....recently came across a very clean OM-4T for sale. It has been CLA'd and looks to be in really excellent shape. The retail store is asking $699 for it. Anyone have any idea of what clean OM4 T's are selling for lately? I thought I might offer them $599 for it....am I off base here or??? All you knowledgeable types with OM-4T's will know I'm sure....

Well, that's it for now...cheers, everyone!

-Stephen Scharf

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!