Re: [OM] To buy or not to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] To buy or not to buy?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:37:52 -0800

Yes, I'm thinking of getting a carbon fiber tripod. After long
searching, I think I've found just the one that will suit my needs
perfectly, but still have doubts about it. I've checked out Gitzo's
G1227 (pricey!), Manfrotto/Bogen 441, Velbon Carmagne 630 and Velbon
Sherpa 1000 and out of all these, Sherpa seems to offer, at least for
me, the best price:performance ratio.

But, is it really worth buying a CF tripod? I know I could get by with a
heavy aluminium one, but dragging a heavy tripod around isn't fun,
especially now that summer is coming.

Your opinions on CF vs normal (aluminium?) tripod more than
welcome. Also, recommendations, please. :-)

Thanks,

Saso

Gitzo is probably the lightest, most recommended by pros with unlimited budgets, and is the most expensive, but there is a lot of noise on the internet about jammed leg locks. Most of the low priced ones are clones of the Gitzo with similar twist locks and without the aftermarket service if something goes wrong and you need a part. I like the Manfrotto and its snap locks. I also like the way the legs lock into place when folded. No flopping around when carrying. If convenience is a big factor in using you might try quick release plates as well.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California