Re: [OM] Cost of Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Cost of Digital
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:07:40 -0800
At 01:18 PM 10/31/2002 -0800, Winsor Crosby wrote:
As the last new OMs hit $1200 and $1600 and with the announcement of digital SLRs that multiply those prices by 2, 3, 4 times, I am impressed by the fact that for the price of a good new 35mm or digital camera you can buy a new medium format camera. Rollei is currently running a special for their 6001 slr including lens and interchangeable film back for $1900, for instance, and Mamiya is giving a rebate on their 645E kit for $699.

I am struggling with this line of thinking too. My OM system probably costs me around $3000, plus $2000 for the scanner. I know the best way to improve of the sharpness of the photos is to use a tripod, but I am a handheld shooter. So looking at some supplementary systems, there are: 1) Leica M7, plus 2 lens, even used, would be at least $4000. I still will have to use the scanner. Least likely scenario... 2) Mamiya 7II, big negative, yum, but $3500 for body and couple thousands for lens, and I may will have to invest in a MF scanner (ouch, big $$$) 3) Bronica 645, negative larger than 35mm and cheaper than Mamiya 7, but probably still want MF scanner :-(
4) Nik*n D100/Can*n D60/etc. Around $2000 for body? Have to get new lens.
5) Kodak 14n. $4000 for body. If the quality holds up, this is really tempting. Lots of dough though. Have to get new lens. 6) Sigma SD-9. Could be nice. Relatively cheap and potentially higher quality than #4.

7) Mythical 4/3 Olydak. Could be nice. A dark horse since we know nothing about it. Can Olympus really deliver? Will lighting strike yet again? (3rd, 4th time?)
8) Pentax DSLR. What megapixel sensor?