RE: [OM] Re: CF tripods

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: CF tripods
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:23:55 -0700
> I guess the issue is whether you would use a tripod more often if it
> weighed half of what the 3011 weighs

 Ah, there's the rub.. sure, the CF legs may weigh half what the old legs
weighed, but what about the head? Say we go for the Gitzo G1378M,
quick-release (because if you're hiking, you don't want to be carrying a
camera around on the top of the tripod..) that's 1.1kg. Then, the totals are
2.5kg CF -vs- 3.3 alu -- and the difference is only about 1/3.

> and whether the improvement in
> sharpness in the old pics is worth it.

 I think this depends on what sort of photos you're taking -- I still stand
by the Slik Compact tripod I've got a lot of the time. Sure, you're going to
have to bend down to use it, it's kinda wobbly, and it doesn't have a nice
head on top -- but it weighs .6kg _total_, it's small enough to fit in a day
pack, and as long as you don't try and extend the legs, it's actually really
pretty stable.

 I wouldn't want to take 30 second exposures in high wind with it, or try to
set it up for fancy overhead macro shots -- but as long as I'm prepared to
spend a bit more time setting things up, it'll give me plenty of stability
for gloomy shots in a forest, shots at the start/end of the day, whatever.

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/index.php?currDir=./LakeMinnewanka&pag
eType=image&image=Creek.jpg
 for instance -- I think this was a couple of seconds exposure, and there's
no way I'd have hand-held that shot, or even on a monopod. It's not
eye-bleedingly sharp, no, but I suspect some of that's the scan's fault --
and, again, I wouldn't have got anything _remotely_ close to that without a
tripod, so heck, it's infinitely better than the alternative.

 -- dan