Re: [OM] North Cascades Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] North Cascades Trip
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 22:38:10 -0800
> Nice pics, Mike.  You captured a better balance between bright snow & sky and
> dark forest than I did up on Rainier.  Polarizer?  Other filter(s)?

Rich (and others), Thanks for the kind words. I did on occasion use a
polarizer on the 35~105. The 16 doesn't seem to need one even if you
could put one on it. Skies have been quite hazy due to the lack of our
ubiquitous PacNW rains and at least at right angles to the sun the
polarizer did some good. However I have quite a few pictures on this
roll where I had the same problem you did with the film lacking the
latitude to capture details in both darks and light. I should have
brought the graduated ND. I was initially disappointed when i first
looked at the results but after i scanned a couple i saw that part of
the problem is the lousy print job. There is the detail in there, it
just doesn't show in the prints. I've got some sunrise and sunset
reflections in the lake that I can coax out with the scanner.

> I used to Jeep up the S. Fork of the Nooksack, and up near the "Twin Sisters"
> S.W. of Baker.  Have been wanting to go north for some time.  Hannigan Pass,
> etc.

And I've spent a fair amount of time up the S. fork myself. I did survey
and forestry work all over from Mt Si to the Canadian border. Yes, you
should take a trip north. It's really no farther than Mt Rainier. But
you better do it this weekend it sounds like. As for Hannigan Pass, my
shot of the lakes is looking directly down toward the pass with the
Pickets at center right rear. For those of you not familiar with this
part of the world this area of the N. Cascades is probably the most
remote spot in the continental US in terms of access. Other places may
be farther from a road but still easier of access.

mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West