[OM] Re: Hey gang! reply and ping for Winsor and Jim Caldwell

Subject: [OM] Re: Hey gang! reply and ping for Winsor and Jim Caldwell
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 00:57:07 -0800
Winsor, thanks for the nice words on the carousel horse...I like that one too, but just noticed some dust and a small fiber on the scan, so I will have to dust it, rescan it and repost it....

BTW, I uploaded two shots to pbase from the you-know-what...they are here:
http://www.pbase.com/image/6651316
http://www.pbase.com/image/6651715

More to come, but it's very late (and I'm tired from doing a lot of film scanning).

Yes, I miss the Oly C4040Z. I liked it a lot and the image quality from it was quite wonderful. I've also uploaded some more images from it to pbase tonight for you and Jim Caldwell (and whomever else might be interested)....

http://www.pbase.com/image/6656768
http://www.pbase.com/image/6656852
http://www.pbase.com/image/6656986
http://www.pbase.com/image/6657256

I plan on getting another digital, but at this point, I don't know if I would get another C4040Z.....it was a wonderful camera, but I found it bulkier to use when carrying it on either the motorcycle or bicycle than I would have liked. As a consequence, I found I didn't take it with me as much as I had planned when I bought it. Instead, I would take the "you-know-what" as it was much more compact. Also the "long" boot times and shut-down times on the C4040Z drove me crazy at times...

I've been thinking of getting a replacement that is smaller and more compact, like the C*n*n S40, but that has viewfinder issues, so I have decided to probably plan to get two digitals at some point in time...a compact in the near future and an SLR a bit later on. I will look closely at the new C-50, as it seems to be targeted to the customer base that the S40 is (was), and it is after all, an Olympus! So I am thinking of giving up some of the incredible level of control and flexibility of the C4040Z for something more compact, but I think I'll get an E20 some time this year....the price has come down so much in the last year, that I should be able to snag one at some point for right around a grand. I would then use the new C-50 as a do-everything, go-everywhere camera, and the E20 would fill in as a "full-featured" digital. Certainly Mike Veglia has gotten beautiful stuff from his E10.

Cheers,
Stephen