[OM] ( OM ) using long lenses

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) using long lenses
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:54:32 +1300
Hi folks,

I now have enhanced admiration for Bolty and that Indy-car shot he obtained
with a 400mm lens.

A couple of days ago I called in at *my* camera shop and found they had a
couple of nice 400's in. I just happened to have a camera body in my
satchel, so I spent some time playing with one of them. (I had trialled a
Tokina 400/6.3 about 15 years ago and agonised over purchase - and didn't -
but the one slide I have from a semi-hand-held shot is remarkably sharp, so I
wanted to revisit this lens). I still did not buy as I'm still unsure if I
would give
a 400 any real use. HOWEVER, I tried envisaging panning this lens.

Bolty's photo is so sharp that even the background shows only the merest
trace of panning movement, but it is there if you look. And the shot looks
almost as though it could have been taken with a 50mm, the DOF is so
good. So there he was, high up with his lens poking through between heads,
and he has to make a tiny panning movement without inducing any
camera/lens shake. Almost as though blinking an eye might create enough
pan  movement. A real achievement.

Brian