[OM] zuikos wide open...

Subject: [OM] zuikos wide open...
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 18:21:47 -0800
I want to see how sharp the zuikos are in the wide apertures so I just did some test shots on Provia 400F. While I understand that that best way to improve a picture's sharpness is to put the camera on a tripod, all the tests are handheld since that's type of shooting I do most. I just scanned in the slides and didn't do any post processing. i.e. the pictures should look sharper w/ some unsharp mask since the scanner softens the images, especially since I have ICE dust removal on. Since I am comparing relative sharpness, this is OK.

The assessment is purely subjective. I just print out some 4x6s, and open the pictures on the screen to verify. I presume a much better methodology is to project the slides. There are a few surprises. I think I will re-shoot w/ couple of the lens to examine the data again. The 135 and 180 shots, I rested the camera on a sturdy fence, so effectively they are on a very solid tripod.

So, on a relative scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the sharpest:

5 - 50/2@2.8, 180@4
4 - 50/2@2, 40@2, 35@4, 28@2, and also 40@2.8 28@2.8, 90@4, 135/2.8, 180/2.8 and 135@4
3 - 90@2.8, 50/1.4@2
2 - 35@2, 90@2
1 - 50/1.4@1.4

First of all, that 50/2 is just the sharpest thing there is. Even on the 4x6, it just blows everything else away. Second, I am pleasantly surprised how good the 40/2 is. I have taken some bummer pictures wide open with it, and on hindsight, I think those are the ones that the shutter speed is very slow anyway. Third, the better f/2 lens - 40/2 and 28/2 improve just a wee tad when closed down to 2.8, not really enough to push them to the next level. Fourth, the 50/1.4 (> 1.1 mil SN) is not as good as the 50/2, until at f4 or smaller. Fifth, the 90/2 is performing worse than I thought and remember. Possibly the light was getting less and the handheld speed is just too slow. I will definitely redo tests with it.
Sixth, most lens at f4 and smaller, is quite good.