RE: [OM] Fisheye

Subject: RE: [OM] Fisheye
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:51:55 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx
So these are your two constraints:

1. Digital output
2. Circular fisheye image

Here are my thoughts on options:

Digital output:
You will have to either get a digital camera or find a way to get the film
scanned.  I'd forget the FinePix S2 or Canon/Nikon D-SLR options.  With
they're smaller-than-full-frame sensor, you can't get a fisheye lens to
produce a small enough image circle to only cover the sensor.  See my
comments below on a used Coolpix 950.  The most ecomonical option would to
have the film scanned into a Photo CD or Picture CD locally.  You could
also spring for a film scanner.  Used Coolscan IV's, HP Photosmart S20, and
many others are good options.  There are also new options that scan
~2400-2700 dpi available in the $4-500 range.  There have been good reviews
in the UK's AP magazine, among others, over the past 12 months.

Circular fisheye image:
- FILM - The cheapest and lowest quality option would be to buy a cheapo
fisheye adapter that screws onto the front of your OM lenses.  Next up the
food chain would be a Sigma, Pelang, or Russian 8mm lens.  Highest would be
the 8mm/2.8 Zuiko ($1200-1500).
- DIGITAL - You could buy a Nikon Coolpix 950 and the Nikon fisheye adapter
used off Ebay for $250-300 + $125-175.  That would produce great results
and you'd get a digital camera to-boot.  Nikon is the only mfgr who makes a
fisheye adapter for their cameras.  I don't know about the aftermarket
makers, but I'm sure someone makes them for Olympus, etc.  I'd expect
better quality from the Nikon pair.

Skip