[OM] Re: [semi-OT] Hand-held scanners

Subject: [OM] Re: [semi-OT] Hand-held scanners
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:19:05 -0700
 Some while ago, I wrote:

>As an alternative, is there any decent way to set up a digital camera to
>act as a scanner here? It seems like it should be possible if I set up a
>little jig to keep everything in position, but lighting the photo'll be the
>tricky part, as far as I can tell.

 Answer: well, sort of. First picture's a scan from the print, second one's
with a digital camera.

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/balloon/b02.jpg
http://www.danielmitchell.net/balldcim.jpg

 Steps involved in creating the second one:

 1. Point camera vertically at floor on small tripod. Take two photos, both
with flash, with the image in different places in either shot.
 2. Combine the two images to remove the hotspots. (I didn't do a complete
job here, as you can see in the bottom right -- and I should have turned off
external lighting, as you can see by the shadow at the top middle).
 3. Futz around in PicturePublisher (or whatever) to get the saturation and
colour back up. (should have tweaked the white balance).

 End result: actually, not all that bad. It needs more work, but the basic
idea seems sound. I suspect if I'd started off with matt rather than glossy
prints, I'd have had more luck with avoiding hotspots; I should try that
next time around. A better solution would be to use some sort of big
diffuser on the flash or bounce flash (though these'll be fiddly to set up
on the point+shoot digital I've got), or just generally bright white
lighting, or something.

 It certainly has more potential than I thought it did, at any rate.

 -- dan