[OM] fill flash - am I missing something?

Subject: [OM] fill flash - am I missing something?
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:12:32 -0600
I am confused on the current thread about fill flash.  We know that
(save for the F280) our sync speed is limited to 1/60, so why all the
crazy contraptions?  When shooting for fill, I either use GN numbers if
I know that the background will be dark, or I select the aperture that
will give a 1/30 second exposure, and let the flash do the rest.  I
haven't come across a situation that I would need faster than 1/60.  if
one is in bright daylight, I have found it easier to spot meter the face
and shoot the scene back-lit which usually turns out to be better on a
face than to have sun shadows filled with a light source that is
slightly different color cast.

What am I missing?