[OM] The Leica Noctilux vs the OM 50F1.2?

Subject: [OM] The Leica Noctilux vs the OM 50F1.2?
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 23:19:38 -0500
On the various Leica lists, there is a constant stream of reverance (and
sometimes irreverance) for the Noct. Much of it concern's it's "character" as
opposed to it's function of simply providing the ultimate low light platform
with a suitably adjusted Leica M rangefinder. Many adherents seem to like it's
rendition even at full high noon. I have rarely seen pictures that highlight
the Noct's strengths--it's ability not to flare out from bringt lights in the
frame and/or nice compositions with a single item in focus against a highly
blurred background. So people seem fascinated by it's "chracter" as such.

My question is this--for those that use both, how does the OM 50F1.2 compare in
"character"/bokeh to the Noct--particularly wide open? I know, of course that
an RF will beat an SLR by 1 to 2 stops less vibration--so an M RF/Noct will
decisively win in very low-light. Otherwise, I can't help but feel that the OM
1.2 is better, more elegant design. It's much lighter, doesn't have nearly as
much vignetting as the Noct, has excellent bokeh, and it isn't bad wide open.

Alex