RE: [OM] T32 question

Subject: RE: [OM] T32 question
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 17:52:05 +0000
Perhaps its time to send your OM to John H for a CLA ?
;-)

>does this mean that when set to manual 1/250th, I'm
>actually
> getting 1/197th, then?

I am not sure. In addition to inaccuracies in
measurement and shutter speed,  its a major major
oversimplification to assume that the shutter curtains
move with a constant speed of 36mm/1/60s = 2160 mm/s .
The shutter curtain assemby has mass and its spring
loaded. It accelerates from zero velocity, reaches a
peak somewhere in between, starts to decelerate and
finally collides coming to an abrupt halt.
Perhaps only Maitani san and a few others would know the
 exact dynamics involved. Its anything but moving at a
 constant speed, so the 9mm (1/4 width) is only a very
rough estimate. Your measurement (11mm) is probably
 closer to the truth.

For the mathematically inclined and  from general
physics, its  a spring loaded mass system and its
motion  can be approximately described  by a second
order differential d(2)x/dx(2)= Kx/M . K = spring
constant,  M = mass of shutter assembly, not counting
the moment of intertia of any moving parts.

-Tim