Re: [OM] ( OM ) Lens tests - comment

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Lens tests - comment
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:02:12 +0800
One comment I wanted to make concerning what I've learned personally as far as good quality shots; the lens almost doesn't matter as much as the amount of stray light you prevent.

On a trip through Oregon; my friend and I were taking pics everywhere, I had a carshade (the double circle ones that look like 2 light disks joined together) and when he shot, I'd provide shade for him, and visa versa. Well, a few he shot without "shade" and the washout in color was incredible.

I also noticed that the shots I made with the lens hood on my 50mm were a lot sharper and clearer in color and contrast compared to no hood. So it makes me wonder about some of these "lens tests".

The Zuiko's don't lose to anybody though; people have commented how sharp my pictures are;

Another thing is; to an audience who is used to p&s with plastic lenses or lenses that are super slow like f8-f11 zooms, they are amazed at Zuiko quality.

Albert

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi folks,

As has been obvious, I've been looking at lens tests and lens capability with more than usual interest during recent months. Spurred on by things done in conjunction with this group.

During the last week or so I've been looking at lens tests done during the last 3 - 4 years, and two aspects seem apparent; at least for some of the lenses.

(a) Some of the lenses have quite excellent resolution and contrast - much ahead of lens performance of 15 - 20 years ago. (b) Some of the lenses actually have their best performance (by these criteria), wide open or near maximum opening.

Brian