Re: [OM] interesting flash thread

Subject: Re: [OM] interesting flash thread
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 04:36:47 -0500
On Friday, November 08, 2002 at 10:03
Pschings@xxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a message dated 11/8/2002 9:28:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > I am also curious if TTL AUTO will work on all electronic shutter
> > cameras?
>
> Do you really mean ALL electronic shutter cameras, or just OMs? Of the
> electronic-shuttered OM's The OM-10, OM-20/G, OM-30/F, and OM-40/PC have
> much shorter maximum exposure times on Auto - on the order of about 10
> seconds or so. These bodies wouldn't be very useful on auto mode for the
> "painting with flash" technique.
>
> As for non-Olympus cameras, the only other camera I am aware of that
> integrates exposure while the shutter is open is the Pentax LX. Every
> other auto exposure SLR determines the exposure before the shutter
> opens.

All the other film SLRs have had TTL flash for the last decade or two.
See http://www.google.ca/search?q=ttl-flash

I suggest for flash painting where you run around, that you use Bulb on
the camera, with an assistant covering the lens with a black card
between flashes to minimise ambient effects - especially from that
torch you'll be using to avoid tripping

Expose each flash using the flash's auto setting for the f/stop you're
using. Since these are big places, you have to be careful the f/stop
chosen will allow the flash to reach each painted subject from where
you're flashing. This assumes black areas, or minimal overlaps between
"paintings." For more even overlaps, flash multiple times using a
smaller auto f/stop setting on the flash.

tOM
---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@ tOM A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-
6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada
K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
safety." -- Benjamin Franklin