Re: [OM] ( OM ) More on photos for sale or whatever

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) More on photos for sale or whatever
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:55:50 +1300
Hi, Mike Veglia and Matt Crawley wrote

>  I saw some AMAZING prints recently that were "Iris"(Pro Inkjet) printed
> on canvas. <snip> The end result was truly amazing. Framed and under glass
> it was nearly impossible to tell the original oil from the print. I know
> this sounds ridiculous but it is 100% true. >>
>
> I believe it. One of my favorite auto racing photographers, Jesse Alexander,
> is
> aligned with Nash Editions (well known Iris fine art printer

I checked out Jesse Alexander's site - great shots.

Until now, I'd never heard of "Iris Pro Inkjet"

Can somebody please tell me more?  Although, seeing the word "Pro" in
there makes me think it would be out of my each. But it sounds promising, if
a person had material worth printing with it.

I just wonder about this business of people buying, or not buying framed
photographs.

I can see that Jesse Alexander could get sales from motor-racing
enthusiasts, simply because he has fine action and people shots of famous
people and events. Just some of the appeal is because of the artistic merit..

But for people who merely want an attractive "picture", " Work of Art" - to
hang on a wall of their home, without a strong ulterior motive, other
characteristics of the work apply strongly as far as I can tell.

Composition, subject matter, (a more abstract approach?), reflectivity of the
image surface, the surface being three-dimensional - I don't know what else.

As far as I remember I have never been into a gallery that has a lot of
original
photographic prints, so I have no idea what they might stock, in any
particular society.

Can anybody here tell about any gallery that hangs colour photographic
prints? I have seen B&W for sale sometimes, rarely.

Brian