Re: [OM] Hayward camera show

Subject: Re: [OM] Hayward camera show
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:35:35 -0800
Hi All

I just got back from the Hayward camera show,  my first, thanks Mike for the
show info.  I expected a small show and it was, but I was surprised at the
dearth of Olympus equipment.  I saw  about a dozen bodies, from OM 1s to a
single OM 4 and  prices seemed high compared to *bay... $175 for a nice OM
1n, $269 for a clean  OM 2.  Lenses were the more common types, 35/2.8,
24/2.8, 200/4 silver nose, lots of 50/1.4.  There was a 21/3.5 at $475,  a
35/2 at $269 and a 35 shift at $5 something (I think).

Also surprising was the lack of Leica equipment, very few M 39 mount and a
handful of M mount cameras (not too badly priced) and no Russian cameras or
lenses (except two lonely Lubitel (sp) for $15).  It makes me wonder if *bay
has skewed my perception of the camera market, with the tons of USSR
equipment- dirt cheap, loads of Leica stuff everyday and an ever changing
choice of Olympus equipment. Today, my *bay sale of a 35/2 did not reach
reserve at $125.  Perhaps this is the "Golden *bay Age" for acquiring this
equipment and we just don't realize it? Or do "they" know something I
don't??

Regards
Bill Latham

Many camera show vendors are dealers with shops and they are letting you handle the merchandise. One would not expect to buy something at auction with "iffy" condition and no real warranty to sell for the same amount. You are paying for something extra when you buy in person. It is really unfair to expect a dealer to sell to you for the same price as an individual on eBay with no overhead or reputation to uphold.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California