Re: [OM] 18mm Zuiko test and why you shouldn't sell it

Subject: Re: [OM] 18mm Zuiko test and why you shouldn't sell it
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:31:44 -0800 (PST)
Yes, Schaetzl ran interference when I was trying to
buy Denton Taylor's 18/3.5!! I want to move this
particular lens along because it has not been used
except for one trip to the slot canyons of Arizona.
Please see:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/xato/fs.html
for photos.  Contact me offline for prices, etc.

Warren

<<<<I thought I might recycle an interesting
submission from
the past.
Richard Schaetzl was a list member who always had
something
interesting to say.

>Ladys and gentlemen,
>
>here are some reasons, why you shouldn=B4t sell your
18mm
Zuiko,
>congratulations to the buyer.
>
>Based on a lens test  by the Magazin Color Foto,
published
in 9/89,
>11/89.
>

>...and the winner is:
>
>Lens   Sharpness               Contrast                Distorsion
>       Vignetting
>
>       in stops
>       Center  Corner  Total   Center  Corner  Total

>Olympus Zuiko Auto-W 18mm 3,5
>3,5    8.4     7,3     8,0     9,0     7,8     8,6     waveform,       2,6
>5,6    8,5     7,6     8,2     9,3     8,1     8,9     slightly to     1,7
>8,0                                                    clear           1,3
>Contax Zeiss Distagon T* 18mm 4,0
>4,0    7,6     6,4     7,2     7,9     6,9     7,6     barrel,         2,3
>5,6    8,7     6,8     8,1     9,0     7,6     8,5     slightly to     1,7
>8,0                                                    clear           1,4
>Leica Elmarit-R 19mm 2,8
>2,8    8,4     5,4     7,4     8,6     6,6     8,0     waveform,       2,6
>5,6    9,2     6,4     8,3     9,3     7,6     8,7     slightly to     1,5
>8,0                                                    clear           1,2
>Nikon Nikkor 18mm 3,5
>3,5    8,0     6,9     7,6     8,5     7,4     8,1     waveform,       2,6
>5,6    8,6     7,2     8,1     9,2     7,9     8,8     slightly to     1,6
>8,0                                                    clear           1,2
>Canon  FD 17mm 4,0
>4,0    7,4     6,1     7,0     8,3     6,4     7,7     waveform,       2,3
>5,6    8,1     6,6     7,6     8,9     7,6     8,5     slightly to     1,5
>8,0                                                    clear           1,2
>... and now some realy bad performer.
>
>Vivitar 17mm 3,5
>3,5    6,7     3,1     5,5     6,2     3,6     5,4     waveform,       2,4
>5,6    8,3     4,7     7,1     9,1     6,8     8,3     clear           1,5
>8,0                                                                    1,3
>Tokina SL 17mm 3,5
>3,5    7,7     5,4     6,9     7,7     5,2     6,9     waveform,       2,3
>5,6    9,0     6,7     8,2     9,3     7,9     8,8     slightly
1,6
>8,0

clear           1,4

>If somebody complains, that the test is pretty old
and new
lens designs
>migth be better, to whom I like to tell, that CoFo
tested
recently the new
>18mm 2.8 AF-Nikkor and it showed,that the old 18mm
3,5
Nikkor is slightly
>better. Neither Leitz(Leica) nor Zeiss have changed
there
lens design
>since.
>
>Remarkeble is the high performance of the Zuiko with
wide
open aperture,
>stoping down has not much influence on sharpness and
contrast.
>Interesting is the difference in quality of the
Tokina and
Vivitar lenses,
>as far as I know, they are the same design. I owned
the
Vivitar lens and
>found it a quite decent lens (this means either my
standard for quality
>is low :-( or i got a better lens they send to the
test
:-) or even
>better the Zuiko is supernaturely good  =3D8-O  ).
>
>The quality numbers are basing on MTF measuring, the
difference of one
>whole number marks an, for the critical observer,
just
noticable
>difference in sharpnes, contrast. The maximum number
is
10, which stands=
 for a
>flawless lens. The number are computed and weigthed
for
the central
>half diameter
>to 2/3 and the rest to 1/3, the extrem corners are
not
rated.
>Vignetting is the combined effect of light fall off
and
vignetting
>through the lens barrel.
>Waveform distortion is a combination of pincushion
distorsion in the
>corner and barrel distorsion in the center.
>
>Richard
>

>< This message was delivered via the Olympus Mailing
List

>< For questions, mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>< Web Page:
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html >