RE: [OM] DEATH of a friend.......

Subject: RE: [OM] DEATH of a friend.......
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:48:21 +1100
> Eric [mailto:ericboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> ...because I can't find an item or the price is outrageous
> because it is a rare item...
>
> ...I will still follow OM and keep one or two items that I
> really like, but my main focus now will be building up my
> new C*non wonderbrick system....

Eric,

I cannot criticise your decision too much, as I own part
of the C*non wonderbrick system. In fact, I love it. For
example, for me, I couldn't have taken some of the photos
that I did last week at the Touch Footy (note, I said "I"
rather than "you" - the sport is just too quick and shifting
for me to follow-focus, and I've always had some trouble with
manually focussing for some reason. This is a fault of me, and
not any manual system). I think you'll grow to love the Canon
too.

However, taking the above quotes of yours together, well,
you are aware of the "outrageous" prices of the yearned-for
"L-series" lenses, yes? You may find that the knowledge that
a better lens is available ("L-series" - you may recognise some
of them from press galleries and sportside, where they are most
if not all of the "white" lenses) than your current "consumer"
Canon lens means you're looking at needing big savings to get
into them. I have a 100-300 consumer, but I want the AUS$3000
100-400 5.6 image stabilised (IS) L lens (or alternatively the
70-200 2.8 IS with 2x convertor at probably AUS$4000 all up). It's
a slippery slope, and think long and hard about it, and whether
the benefit is worth it (my wishes would almost certainly rarely
match my ability, and so the differences in results between my
"consumer" lens and the "L" lens would almost always be
negligible).

Like I said, I love my Canon, but I love my Olympus too. An
OM1 with 50 1.4 goes almost everywhere with me, though for family
candids, etc. I've the cute little, but solid, 135 3.5 lens, or the
35 2.8 at other times too. It's a glorious *little* package for
***carrying around***, which is *really* important!!!). Just wanting
to make you think hard, if you haven't done so already, before
taking the plunge too far. Appreciate and retain them both - I don't
think you'll regret it.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz