Re: [OM] Olympus Large Carry Case Opinions

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Large Carry Case Opinions
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:49:06 -0500
On Wednesday, November 13, 2002 at 22:17
John and Julie Ockman <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tom,
>  I have some of the aluminum cases that are really sturdy, but heavy,
> and do not hold all I want, and I do not want to carry two of them.

The Halliburton cases are aircraft aluminum, not foil-clad plywood, and
are very light and strong, but somewhat expensive - e.g. see
http://www.tocad.com/zt.html

My briefcase style Halliburton has survived 30 years with me. It easily
supports my 220 pounds if I stand on it in the middle. I find the only
drawbacks are that they are not completely rainproof, especially at the
lock, unlike my Pelican, and the clasps tend to fail. Halliburton has a
lifetime warranty and will replace these free when they start to fail,
and has done so for me twice - they are trivial to replace.

And they look cool, Zero having supplied many to NASA and the movie
industry to tote money and jewels and moon rocks! Saudi princes have
fleets of them. Unfortunately, that also makes them bigger targets for
thieves.

For more inconspicuous travel I'd suggest modifying any hardshell legal
carry-on with wheels by carving high-density foam to fit. Much cheaper,
too. Zero sells foam kits to fit their own cases, and you could order a
kit to fit your own case.

tOM
---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@ tOM A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-
6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada
K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
safety." -- Benjamin Franklin