[OM] Re: CART race photos

Subject: [OM] Re: CART race photos
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:27:00 -0800
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:13:48 -0800
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] CART race
<snip>
Thank you Stephen. When I was told by one of the very best photographers
there is shooting CART that the track sucks for photography and panning
there is nearly impossible, I feel very proud of my results. The real
problem is no time to pick up the start of the pan due to lack of a clear
sight line where the cars come from combined with intense sheer speed. The
is no way to describe what being close up and personal with a 230MPH
automotive missile is like (shooting trackside, but with the protection of a
massive infield wall). The speed is breathtaking.

Yes, I can imagine that....makes the panning challenge all the more considerable, and the results that much more impressive. When I post photos that I have shot at the M/C races for my motorcycling friends at the web site we hang out at, it's clear that many of them don't understand the considerable technical challenges motorsports photography brings, but particularly using old Oly gear and manual focus lenses....

<< My arm was getting worn out shooting just with the 300 with the 2X-A! Not
even close to the beast the 350 is! Were the trackside panning shots at a
straight 350 mm or with your 1.4X flat field converter? Still shooting
Provia 100? >>

I've thought of going to Provia 400 to get more depth of field by getting away with smaller apertures...ever try it? I hear it has negligable grain structure for ISO 400.

<smip>
Anyway, one of them spotted me panning with the 350 and he had what appeared
to be a Can*n 600/4 and the next thing I saw was him panning away with it.
(A 600/4 dwarfs a Zuiko 350/2.8.) I think he was even doing so with a
digital body (1.6 multiplication factor). I doubt he got many keepers--but
he gained my respect for even trying!

Whew! I've seen those lenses...they are enormous...they're the REALLY big, off-white lenses with a piece of glass about 7" in diameter, right?

<< The E10 shots look great, and it looks like you're getting great results
out of the new Polaroid 4000. >>

The E-10 actually got some decent panned track action too, but I didn't put
any up on the page. Scans are all on my old Minolta QS35. I only use the
higher end scanner for publication and print orders--it is way too slow for
batch scanning.

I'd like to see the E10 track shots...send me some links to 'em. Are you using the Oly 3X teleconvertor for the E10? That would give you 420mm, right? I have been thinking I am going to get an E20 relatively soon. I'd like to get the 3X tele for it.

<< I've been doing more work with the Minolta Scan Elite II, and getting
better and better results wiht it. >>

I was told Silverfast really helps (and Vuescan if it supports the Minolta).

Yes, I have heard this also. I am also evaluating the ColorEdit from Pictographics that others have been referring to here...still not ready to pop 100 bucks for a Photoshop plug-in just yet, though.

<< Here's a shot of Doug Chandler from the World Superbike races at
Laguna last July I found and scanned last night:

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/motorcycles/large/ChandlerT6Crop2.jpg

That shot is stunning. I like it better than anything I got at the bike
races (but I was not being real serious about shooting the event, I admit.)

Thanks, Mike!

<< and one of Eric Bostrom, very very close to dragging his elbow
through the tiger teeth at Turn 5!

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/motorcycles//Web        0.000000E+00boz.jpg

Hmmm...I see it just fine, but try here...I uploaded it to the gallery at pbase:

http://www.pbase.com/image/7325247

Cheers,
Stephen.

--