[OM] Film, 35mm, 120; digital?

Subject: [OM] Film, 35mm, 120; digital?
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:06:07 +0800
Yes, the mere subject header makes you all want to click delete; but I'm struggling.

I love my OM, but I want something with spot metering. I've been lookingat the OM4Ti used, new ones are rediculously priced. But all my friends say I'm "wasting money on a dead system." Am I? I personally don't think so.

With the introduction of the Minolta 5, I thought, wow, if I'm going to go Autofocus, I want something that's almost as small and light as my OM and the Minolta 5 fit that bill. So I seriously considered the 5. I am now in Taiwan; I moved here and will be staying for about a year. There is pretty much no Minolta in existance here; only N*kon and C*non. Which got me thinking, if I go AF, I really need to pick a line that is well supported everywhere, and that means going N* or C*. Also, I can "bump down" to digital later if I want to.

My friend just came back from London. he bought a Olympus C-3030 and took 900+ pics with it. He also brought his Leica M6, but only took a total of 6 rolls. He said of the 900, he has about 11-13 that are amazing. He says it's a statistics game, shoot 900 and get a good 10% that you like. I'm inclined to agree, except that almost means "digital gives you the freedom to shoot haphazardly" and not stop and think about what you are doing. From what I've read, you get the same about of "good" pics from all the formats; maybe you shoot 1000 and get 20 you like in 35mm, shoot 200 in medium format and get 20-30 you like, and shoot maybe 50 in large format and get 20-30 you like.

So while I struggle on whether or not to go to the darkside; It makes sense, say I buy a N* and I later jump into the digital world; I can do that, and not have to reinvest in lenses.

But if I'm after candid shots, I have my P&S. I love it. (Konica Big Mini, shot it against a Leica, saw NO differences, Leica owner was PISSED) If I want 35mm, I have my OM. If I want carfully composed shots of excellent quality, then shouldn't I just jump to medium format? 35mm doesn't compare to 6x7. The tonal smoothness of a portrait shot done in 6x7 is breathtaking.

So do I stick to 35mm and just stick to my OM, 35mm and get a N* or C* and go AF. Go digital, if I go digital, something like an Olympus E series?? Or just like a C-5050 (of which for that price, I can get an Om4Ti) or do I just say screw it, and go medium format??

Ok, I'm mentally exhausted now..

Albert