Re: [OM] Film, 35mm, 120; digital?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film, 35mm, 120; digital?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:42:56 -0800 (PST)
Albert lamented:

So do I stick to 35mm and just stick to my OM, 35mm and get a N*
or C* and go AF.  Go digital, if I go digital, something like an
Olympus E series??  Or just like a C-5050 (of which for that
price, I can get an Om4Ti) or do I just say screw it, and go
medium format?? Ok, I'm mentally exhausted now..
<<<

Good questions.  Ones that I've struggled with for the past four
years now.  Switching systems is a painful affair--especially
for someone who has settled in and still loves the current
system.

Think long-term.  Think about what will still be reasonably
current five years from now. Think about resale value.
Ultimately, it would be best to have a matched film/digital
system.  One system which uses the same lenses and accessories.
For that, you are looking at N*k*n, C*n*n or Cont*x.  Weigh the
options (and the cameras) to see which system fits your hands
best.  Remember that the units with the fewest "features" and
"modes" will have the longest staying power.

It is an unknown what the OM's future is.  Would an OM-4Ti be a
good investment?  Who knows.  It depends on whether or not this
list exists five years from now. (yes, I believe that this list
is vital to the future of the OM).  Does the OM-4Ti serve your
current needs?  If you need Autofocus, don't bother investing
any more into the OM system.  Plain and simple.

Medium-format and large-format will remain the realm of the
"Artist-Photographer".  In some circles, digital, no matter how
good it will become, will never be adopted.  Some people (me
possibly included) will shoot B&W film until the day we die.

Where do you see your photography going?  I never expected to
use my OM system for more than five years.  That was in 1986. If
thinking about switching systems--especially towards digital,
WAIT AS LONG AS YOU CAN!  Eventually you have to jump in, but
don't rush.  Remember, it was only a short time ago that the
Nikon F5 was the Holy Grail of cameras.

AG-Schnozz