Re: [OM] Film, 35mm, 120; digital?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film, 35mm, 120; digital?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:12:13 -0800
Albert lamented:

So do I stick to 35mm and just stick to my OM, 35mm and get a N*
or C* and go AF.  Go digital, if I go digital, something like an
Olympus E series??  Or just like a C-5050 (of which for that
price, I can get an Om4Ti) or do I just say screw it, and go
medium format?? Ok, I'm mentally exhausted now..
<<<

I think high quality digital cameras will gradually coalesce around a form that will be a replacement for 35mm and which will be more compact than what is available now. Changes may slow down then and it may be worthwhile to take the plunge. I don't think that time is here yet. If you do it now, you will want to upgrade in a year to a better camera. Medium format will be the next target, but major breakthroughs in cost of producing chips and in handling files from 50 megapixel chips will have to be made. There will be people who say that medium format is dead when 12 megapixels are common, but don't believe them.

Digital is very expensive and changing rapidly. There is as yet no agreement on a sensor design, CMOS, CCD, or Foveon. Medium format is very expensive but likely to be caught by digital in a few years. I would keep the OM, carry a tripod and buy a very good scanner for now. There is the additional consideration of how you like to take pictures. Think about the size and weight of digital or medium format. Do you really want that? Do you really make the huge enlargements that push the limits of 35mm? Not many do.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California