[OM] ( OM ) why keep a filter in front of your lens

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) why keep a filter in front of your lens
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:43:44 -0500
Brian wrote today:

>It was soon obvious that there was a thick layer of accumulated grease of

years on that glass. So I put some dish-washing detergent in the sink,
added
some warm water, and immersed the filter. It had no perceptible effect on
the
grease. So I applied some undiluted detergent direct to the wet filter and
rubbed it in gently with the pad of my fingertip. It seemed to make a kind
of
emulsion. After not more than about 10 seconds of this I rinsed the
detergent
off vigorously and then soaked again this time in fresh water, for about 10

minutes, to try to remove all detergent from wherever it had penetrated.

I was amazed to find that there was still a definite trace of grease. It
took
about  10 - 15 minutes of gentle work with huffing and lens tissues to
remove
all the smeary stuff.<

I recall an old story about a slightly deaf fellow at a party who mistook
the phrase "No man is an island" for "No mayonnaise in Ireland" and
replied, "And I bet there ain't no catsup in Austrailia."  So, am I to
assume there ain't no Windex in New Zealand?

Walt