Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 15:46:10 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 17 November, 2002 03:39 PM

> (from http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm )
>
> Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AIS (multicoated)
> Nikon F2 with mirror and diaphragm prefire
> Distortion:  slight waveform with no tendencies
> Vignetting: A- @ f/2.8, A thereafter
> Aperture  Center    Corner
> f/2.8     A-        B+
> f/4       A         A-
> f/5.6     A         A-
> f/8       A+        A+
> f/11      A         A-
> f/16      B+        A-
> f/22      B         B
> f/32      B-        B-
> Notes: High contrast at f/2.8 and f/16; very high contrast at f/8 and
> f/11; extremely high contrast at f/5.6; moderately high contrast
> (diffraction limited) at f/22 and f/32. Remarkable image detail at
> f/8 - the optimal aperture.

Way back in 1972 or so I bought a Nikkormat with a Nikkor 50mm / f1.4 at the
PX in Hong Kong. The images from this Nikkor lens [mainly slides] were
incredibly sharp and equally as sharp as those from my 50mm / f1.4 Leica M
Summilux. The difference between the two lenses was that the Leica images
exuded a sense of warmth whereas those from the Nikkor felt as if they were
icy cold.

jh