Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:31:51 +0800
dreammoose wrote:

> OK, so I read lots of responses, but none asked what you plan to use it
> for.
>
> I have a couple of 50/3.5 Zuikos. I use them almost exclusively on a
> copy stand at f8, or occasionally f11 or 16, for depth of field. If I
> had a 50/2, I would do the same thing, as shutter speed isn't an issue
> and I want DOF to cover any lack of perfect alignment of the stand,
> flatness of the subject and focusing accuracy. Assuming you've looked at
> the Gary Reese test data Tom T. put in his reply, you will see that a
> 50/2 offers no real improvement for this task. What isn't shown in
> Gary's tests is performance at a repro ratio other than 1:40. I suspect
> that the 2 Zuiko 50mms would be comparable at the ratios I use, but
> don't really know. Are they sharper at 1:5 than 1:40? Who knows?

There is a test report from Modern Photography, the 50/3.5 perform
better at close distance wide open.

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-zuiko-tests.txt

> If you are planning to use the macro as a general purpose lens, the
> larger max aperture of the f2 could be an advantage for selective DOF.
> For portraits, the slightly softer performance of the 50/2 wide open
> might be an advantage over the 50/3.5 (and the Nikkor 55/2.8), as most
> people don't like razor edged skin imperfections.

In my experience the sharpness and contrast of 50/2 is very high even
wide open. I prefer the 50/3.5 and at f3.5 it provide very fine bokeh
and contrast. In case speed is not critical (good lighting condition)
I prefer 50/3.5 for all purpose.

C.H.Ling