Re: [OM] Film scanners and printers

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanners and printers
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 06:54:28 +0000
Cc: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Rob

I have little trouble with my setup: Photoshop Elements (v2),
Canoscan FS4000US and Epson 1290.  There is no plugin for the
Canoscan in OSX (Classic only), but it works fine like that (I have
Elements installed in Classic and OSX) or with Vuescan
(www.hamrick.com).  However, I do most of my scanning booted in OS9.2.

Colour space does not worry me at present.  I have set monitor Gamma
to 1.8 (standard for Macs), and I use Colorsync settings when
printing (and Colorsync is set in System Preferences to Epson 1290
paper setting of which there are several).  Of course, since my Gamma
is different from Windows machines (2.2) my photos are likely to look
dark on Windows monitors.  See
http://homepage.mac.com/zuiko/PhotoAlbum3.html for samples.  These
were done pretty quickly and with only automatic correction in
Elements.

I also use an Epson 2450 Perfection flatbed/film scanner for 645
negs.  This scanner is lovely: fast, high resolution and versatile.

Have fun choosing.

Chris