Re: [OM] Film scanners and printers

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanners and printers
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:03:35 -0800 (PST)
>>>I think a while ago Silvernosed was looking for a good photo
>>>printer and chose S9000.

Yes, I did pick up the Canon S9000.  As far as profiles are
concerned, this printer amazed me.  When using the Canon Photo
Paper Pro, I needed ZERO color adjustment.  I thought it was
off, but just needed to adjust my monitor, not the printer.
Printing on other papers does require plenty of profile
adjustment, though.

There have been reports of "banding" problems with the Canon
S900/S9000 printers.  I have seen this problem when using
cheeper photo paper, but otherwise the only banding is from the
scanner and not the printer.

I just replaced my FIRST ink cartridge.  This after at least 25
8x10s, 50 4x6s, and 300+ regular pages.  I popped the
replacement black ink in during mid-page.  There was no
ink-fading on the page at all or any other indication that the
printer had stopped mid-page.  Six ink cartridges, and the
prices range from $9 USD to $12 USD.  Cost of operation is low,
except for the expensive Canon Photo Paper Pro.

Speaking of such, the Photo Paper Pro has a surface not unlike
that of ferrotyped prints.  The photographs come off the printer
DRY to the touch.  Longevity appears pretty good.  I have a test
print that has graced the dashboard of my jeep, and now a south
facing window (getting wet and everything) since August.  No
visible degradation yet.

The S9000 does color better than B&W, but that's all relative.
I'm a chemical darkroom geek, so I'm pickier than most.
However, it does B&W well enough that I can use it
professionally for B&W without fear.

Best part of the S9000 is that it is FAST and QUIET!  Your USB
port will be the slowest part of the printer.  When printing out
regular text pages with some graphics (like a webpage or an
average PDF), it will rip off pages in less than 13 seconds. It
actually loads the next page while the current page is still
printing so there is no pausing between pages.

But as a photo printer, the S9000 has met and exceeded every
expectation that I had for a pro quality computer photo printer.
 Too bad my scanner isn't as good as the printer.

AG-Schnozz