RE: [OM] Film scanners and printers

Subject: RE: [OM] Film scanners and printers
From: Robert T McFetridge <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:21:31 -0500
One of the key questions that has not yet been addressed is how much does one wish to spend for a scanner, software and the printer to print the final images. Each of these can be less or greater in cost. As one of thoes who only affords the 'lower' end of the costs as I do not use digital that much yet, I have an Epson 1280 with the film scanner attachment. I use mostly the provided software and the Epson C80 printer. I also use a Sony digital camera that I purchased in the spring. I use a Mac and generally OS9.2 as I am more at home with it than OSX which I also have.

The Epson scanner has proved to be a very good investment for me as I am able to easily scan both prints and film. The colour quality is excellent but does require a bit of tuning . DPI and the number of pixels are a bit of a myth as they are only important insofar as what your final image will be. Are you scanning for your web presentation or hoping to do an 11"x14" print? I get very good images to the 8"x10" size from 35mm film scanned directly through to print. Those that come via my digital camera are also very good. Both are superior to what I would get from any 1hour photo service. When I scan to include images in papers I get excellent results. The point being I get the results I want for the needs I am applying. I would not attempt to challenge the high quality imagery I can get from my darkroom.. maybe I am not skilled enough.

I will also say that the equipment that I currently have has limitations but it still can do a lot of things that I am yet to attempt so it will serve me well for a while yet. If I wish to produce that gallery level image from a slide I will take it to a professional finisher who has the high end film and drum scanners necessary, the software and primnters to get that level of quality.

I have only limited experience with film scanners, which do produce a much more detailed (read much larger) image file but my printer can only resolve to a specific level so the extra detail is unused. This is the key next step. If you spend $1000's on the scanner its all lost if you do not have the other end to maximize the the image quality in production.

It is also important to understand that DPI (dots per inch) at a printer is not the same as the digital resolution at the scanner, which is measured in pixels. They relate but not directly.

Bob