RE: [OM] Interchangeable Backs

Subject: RE: [OM] Interchangeable Backs
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:15:33 -0500
I looked at the H1 at PhotoPlus in NYC and it's a VERY NICE camera.  The
interchangable back isn't the big deal; you get that on a 645 with Contax,
Mamiya, and Pentax already.  Just slap a Kodak DCS or Phase One back on
there and you're set.  It handles great, even better than my favorite, the
Contax 645, especially in the autofocus speed derby.

But the H1 actually talks to the digital backs out-of-the-box, so that the
grip-mounted LCD control knows that it's got a Kodak DCS Pro-Back mounted
and changes the LCD screens and controls automatically.  It also reads
bar-coded Fuji film to auto-switch ISO's and 120/220 film characteristics.
Welcome to the 21st century....it's about time.

If I had the cash to spare, I'd set 2003 as the year for me to get an H1
645 camera.  It's VERY good, and I hope that Hassy sells a ton of them and
competes well against the Japanese makers' products.  (Oh, I forgot, it's
actually a hybrid Swedish-Japanese camera already....Welcome to global
cooperation. :-) )

The cooperative arrangement seems to work already, evidenced by the X-Pan,
which is a Hassy-Fuji hybrid.

Skip