RE: [OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?

Subject: RE: [OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:59:48 +1100
> AG Schnozz [mailto:agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> If all you are interested in is 4x6 prints, you are not worthy
> of the OM system.  Period.

Actually, AG-Schnozz, you raise something that I've only
recently noticed. I almost only ever get 4x6 prints, as
I never see anything in the results worthy of being blown
up (at least, not the "blown up" we photographers are
normally talking about :-) ). After some brow-beating by
my partner convincing me to get a few blow-ups (8x12"s)
I have to say that 4x6" is not a good size to judge your
prints from, at least without some experience with blow-ups
to recognise when a 4x6" is worthy (and I'd appreciate
any advice, suggestions or wisdom from folks on how they
make these judgements).

You see, the 8x12"s look wonderful (by which I mean, fairly
ordinary, but I'm not ashamed to hang them on the wall...but
that's a self-esteem issue <g>). Now, instead of my house
being decorated with blandish bought prints, and small
combo-framed pictures of pets, I've now actually got photos
on the wall that weren't bought but were taken by *me*!

It's a good feeling.

OM content? Well, for what it's worth, they were all taken
with the OM1 and not the EOS "wonderbrick" (though I must
concede this is because I use black & white in the OM1, and
our house suits black & white better than the colour which is
always in the EOS).

[Sorry folks. I know I've written a lot of wordy guff lately,
but it's just the frame of mind I'm in. I'll crawl back into
my shell sometime soon, I'm sure. :-) ]

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz