[OM] Microscopes and cameras

Subject: [OM] Microscopes and cameras
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:58:09 -0000
Maybe one of you microscope users could explain something to me?

There was a posting a little while back about a Micro - N*kk*r with 700lppm
resolution on an 8mm diameter aerial image. How much of this would you
expect to survive transit through an eyepiece or adapter with elements? Also
how do you view these specs? The lens listed had a design magnification of
1/10, but this is obviously not the final magnification, and taken at face
value, if the aerial image is at 1/10, then 700lppm translates to 70lppm at
1:1, which is below macro - lens performance, assuming a perfect 10x
eyepiece. Since microscopes evidently perform better than this (although the
examples given for the n*kk*r didn't look exceptional), what am I missing?

Julian
Cambs, UK

The above statements are inaccurate (at best)