Re: [OM] Manual focus, motor sports question

Subject: Re: [OM] Manual focus, motor sports question
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:44:51 -0600
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:20:49 -0500, John A. Lind wrote:

>The basic secret is
>*knowing* how common situations develop, positioning oneself in advance,
>presetting focus and exposure, and then letting the photograph come to you
>as the action plays out.  You'd be surprised at how much behavior is
>repetitive, whether it's racing, wired up band members hopping about on a
>stage or team sports.  Careful observation noting common behaviors and
>patience wins with better shots while burning less film getting them.  If
>you chase after an action shot, you'll never get it.  The old adage "f/8
>and be there" has more truth to it than most imagine.

This bears repeating. I shoot basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball
with my OMs. In every case, the basic strategy is the same - get in position,
anticipate
the action, and take advantage of your depth of field. Basically, I get setup
and wait for the action to come to me. It also helps to have a good
understanding of
exposure, and have some ideas which players are likely to make the big plays,
be especially photogenic, or be in a particular place.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company