[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3721

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3721
From: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:08:57 -0800
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:24:37 -0800
> From: Mike Veglia
> Subject: Re: [OM] Manual focus, motor sports
> question
>
> In a message dated 11/20/2002 Skip Williams
> writes:
>

> Best I can tell, it is a mixed bag. Many of the
> legends do use AF (and IS)
> to their advantage these days. I have heard it
> is in part due to failing
> eyesight though. They do so in an intelligent
> way where they still rely on
> merging their old MF techniques with new skills
> learned to keep the auto
> stuff under control. This differs from those
> whom I hear banging away who
> obviously never learned MF techniques, probably
> because they never used MF
> gear.
<SNIP>
> I don't think my keepers are much different
> using the 350/2.8 (or 350+1.4XA)
> than others for a given focal length from those
> using latest greatest
> wunderglass on a wunderbrick. (I like to
> believe that at times the Zuiko
> glass offers a little something extra actually
> ;-)...of course I'm probably
> fooling myself some.) I equate most of the
> differences I see are due to
> skill and experience--where I am in total awe
> of the true legends in this
> line of work. Here's a link to an interesting
> thread on the IMSAracing.net
> forum that I am a member of:
> http://www.professionalsportscar.com/dcforum/DCForumID9/25.html
> I put a
> couple images into the mix in this fun
> offseason diversion. I have a feeling
> many here will know which two are mine ;-) In
> post #31 "500mm" seems to have
> some nice things to say about the results.
> ("500mm" is John Brooks who is
> one of the very best there is IMO.)

> I have no doubt, and I would love to see them!
>
> Mike Veglia
> Motor Sport Visions Photography
> http://www.motorsportvisions.com

All very interesting...all the more so, because I am going to get to try my
hand at shooting digital/autofocus stuff for motorsports photography tomorrow!

I just got a call from Mike Doran of D&W Images, the Chief Photographer for
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

I sent him some photos (4 X 6's) that I shot of World Superbike, AMA Superbike
and CART on slide film and scanned and printed. He got them today and called
me and said they were "amazing" and he was very impressed.

He wants me to come out tomorrow and help shoot some go-kart racing in
Stockton; give me a try-out with some digital stuff. I'll probably be shooting
with a D30 and some short L-lenses.

He also says he should be able to help me get photo passes for Laguna Seca and
Sears Point.

This might the start of the "break" into Motorsports Photography I was looking
for....

<big grin>

-Stephen.