Re: [OM] are 1.55 volt batteries OK for the OM-4 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] are 1.55 volt batteries OK for the OM-4 ?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:53:11 -0500
No!

The LR-44 is the *alkaline* version of the ~1.5 Volt SR-44 silver cell, and is the same as a MS76A. Clint is absolutely correct that it will not last long (even though it's alkaline, not lithium). However, in a "double digit" OM (e.g. OM-10) or in an OM-2[n,S], OM-3[ti] or OM-4[T] it will not throw the metering off. Both alkalines and lithiums gradually drop in voltage starting at about half life. The OM-4 and OM-4T are both finicky about sufficient battery voltage for operating the shutter. Alkalines and lithiums fall below the minimum well before actual end of cell life and the shutter locks up (to recover, replace the cells or switch shutter speed ring into one of the two mechanical speeds [red "60" or "B"]).

Best cells for the OM-4[T] are 303 or 357 silver oxide watch cells, which translate to SR44W and SR44SW. They are slightly better than the silver oxide SR44P or MS76 photo cells (the MS76A is alkaline). The watch cells are designed to withstand the slight drain current of an OM-4[T] in "standby" mode better than the photo cells can.

The lithium button cells C.H. Ling referred to are the Energizer 2L76BP, Duracell 7K67 and Rayovac 867. These are twice the height of a single 303/357/MS76/SR44/etc. (all of which have the same form factor).

FYI:
The two bodies with meter accuracy sensitive to battery voltage are the OM-1 and OM-1n. They were designed to use the 1.35 Volt PX-625 mercury cell. Do not use a 1.5 volt PX-625A alkaline cell in them.

-- John