Re: [OM] are 1.55 volt batteries OK for the OM-4 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] are 1.55 volt batteries OK for the OM-4 ?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:21:51 -0500
Tim said:
I went to Energizer's website to see what batteries they recommend for cameras. First I was (pleasantly) surprised to find that have all the OM cameras in their list! ...
You will be well advised to ignore the manufacturer's recommendations and listen to your fellow list members. Energizer's website lists compatible batteries from a size and nominal voltage standpoint. The non silver oxide batteries listed (alkaline and lithium) will operate the camera... but not for long. They will work but you will give Energizer lots of money in replacement batteries as the substitutes quickly drop below the minimum voltage required to operate the OM-4 (and OM-2s).

Note to John Lind: The OM-2s should be listed along with the OM-4 (instead of OM-2, 2n) as needing silver oxide. My OM-2s will kill a pair of alkaline batteries in 6-8 weeks just sitting on the shelf. Silver oxides last 6-9 months even with usage.

Silver oxide simply maintains a near constant voltage level for a very long time and should be used in all OM's except unconverted OM-1's.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA