[OM] Re: ( OM ) Fresh lens tables

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Fresh lens tables
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:44:11 +1300
Richard wrote

> Just in time, I am renting a Mamiya 7II over the weekend to get a feel. One
> question though, the lines per mm is often in the 30s and sometimes even in
> the
> 20s, yet the lens are suppose to be excellent. If we look at the tests for the
> Zuikos, they are often at 40s and up.
>
> Does this mean anything? Are MF lens less critical because the format is so
> much
> larger?

 Can I suggest that this question may be answered, at least in part, if you
calculate how many recognisable lines over the whole frame-width each
system can deliver. It seems to me that in respect of image resolution for the
whole image, it is the total line count over the whole frame that matters most.

I notice that in the latest issue of Pop Photo (October 2002 has just landed
here) the front cover has two images combined. The combined image size is
about 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches (17 x 23 cm). Did they use a digital camera to
create it? Did they use a 35mm system to create it?

NO to each. As often before, for this relatively small but critical cover image
on glossy paper, they used a Calumet 4x5 view camera using a Nikkor W
240mm f/5.6 lens on Fuji RTP Tungsten, 6 seconds at f/45, and the subjects
(zoom lenses) set up on a shooting table.

I wonder what the printed cover could have looked like if photographed with a
good 35mm system.

I wish I knew more about this aspect of using photographs.

The photos I have and have been looking at the whole year so far on the
Olympus Calendar, are a printed size of 11 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches (29 x 42 cm),
photographed by Japanese photographer Michio Hoshino (now deceased due
to a bear attack), and I suspect that they must have been taken using OM
35mm gear (acknowledged digital shots excepted). Even at that size of
enlargement, there is a lot of fine detail in there.

Brian