Re: [OM] Mind Bender

Subject: Re: [OM] Mind Bender
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 02:18:27 -0500
If, instead of field of view, you want the hyperfocal distance halfway between that for 100mm and 200mm focal lengths, then the answer is 141mm (square root of two times 100mm).

Hyperfocal distance is directly proportional to the square of the focal length. This presumes you are not changing the camera->subject distance, the lens aperture f-number, size of film, or maximum allowable circle of confusion diameter.

I mention this so you will understand why I asked about what aspect of the optics you want to know is effectively half-way between the two. The relationships among some aspects of them are linear, but some are non-linear as with hyperfocal distance.

-- John