RE: [OM] Backpack/case question.

Subject: RE: [OM] Backpack/case question.
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:34:03 -0700
The single strap bags are really nice for being able to just rotate them
around to the front for access. I'm going to try one for lift skiing this
year. Any double strap bag is more difficult for access without sitting it
down. The amount of weight you are considering may be a little much for a
single shoulder strap but there is a cheap way of testing this. The GAP
stores sell a bag like this that is amazingly well made for the price. I
think we paid about $18. There are many photo back pack bags that work very
well for carrying cameras and lenses but they aren't much good for anything
else. Some have a chamber for a lunch or some clothes. I prefer to use a
general purpose pack and carry the camera equipment in padded lens and
camera cases. Most packs now have d-rings on the front of the straps so you
can hang a bag on the front for a quick-access camera. I have two packs that
I really like for their versatility. The smaller one is a DaKine Poacher
(~$100) which is really a snowboarding pack. It has an internal hydration
unit sleeve and many other features for carrying different things. The
larger is a North Face Patrol pack ($200) which is built for back-country
ski patrollers. This thing has the ability to carry about anything in
various external fittings. If you carry portable blinds or tripods, packs
like this are excellent. There is a huge variety of backpacks available.
Most of the people selling them aren't photographers so you will need to
look at a lot of them and figure out what works best for you. One thing to
think about is the size of the pack because you will tend to put in as much
stuff as the bag will hold and that can get heavy. The packs made for
climbing and back-country skiing tend to all be of high quality. Of course,
the usual advice on this list is to buy one of each and try them all. Happy
hunting.  /jim