Re: [OM] OM-4 beeper question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 beeper question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:51:53 -0500
Rob,
Look at the front of the camera. The switch for the self-timer is the tab at the top of the raised black mound surrounding the battery check LED. This switch has three positions. The tab rotates around the LED about 15 degrees in two directions from its center position.

Hold the body as if you're setting controls in preparation to make a photograph and look down at the top. The tab just above the battery check LED should be to the right of the lens. Rotating the tab to your right from its center position sets the self-timer. Rotating it in the opposite direction to your **left** turns off the beeper.

I have no idea if there is a beeping pattern or not. I do know it will beep repeatedly if you put the mode switch into the battery check position and it will beep each time you depress the spot, highlight or shadow buttons, or use the memory/clear switch around the shutter release.

On my OM-4 it will also beep at very high speed and the battery check LED will flicker at high speed when the shutter is fired with low batteries. Sometimes I can clear this using the battery check switch and get of another shot or two if I give it a rest for a couple minutes, but it's a distinct warning the camera batteries are "crashing" and it's time for a new set of cells. I use silver oxide watch cells (#357's) and when they crash at end of life, they crash quickly because they hold voltage and deliver the current demanded until completely exhausted.

-- John

At 18:09 11/24/02, Rob Jackson wondered:
OK, here's a kind of goofy one, but I can't find anything in the manual or the FAQ other than how to shut the beeper off (which I'll undoubtedly be doing). I just bought an OM-4T and took my first photos with it this afternoon. After I'd take a spot reading using the highlight or shadow functions the camera would start beeping. I thought maybe it was asking if I wanted to clear the memory, but that didn't seem to stop the beeping. It seemed to just stop by itself after a bit. Nearly 25 years with OM-1 and OM-2 bodies hadn't prepared me for this. ;-)

Is there a chart anywhere explaining what the various beep patterns signify? I'm really curious about what's going on here.

-Rob