Re: [OM] OM-4 beeper question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 beeper question
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:53:25 -0800
This describes the Battery Check beep. That's actually how I determined that my camera had the new circuit. The beeping I experienced this afternoon was not in the Battery Check position, though. It was in the Auto position. An Audi has been abandoned on my street and it's all covered with leaves and filth and has about a dozen stickers on it from the local police threatening to tow it away (why it's still there I have no idea). Anyway, I decided to snap a couple of photos of it and used the spot meter and Shadow function to expose for deep shadows. After I'd snap the exposure the camera would beep four or five times. I have no idea what that means and the manual doesn't really explain it either. I tend to think that it may have meant that even at 1/2000 of a second the shot was still overexposed. I was shooting wide open with a 28mm F2.8 and hoping that shooting wide open would give me a little less depth of field. I wanted the car in focus and as little else as possible, but I wanted the "open" angle from that lens. Even though it tends to have way more DOF than I typically like I'm going through a phase where I feel like everything I shoot is claustrophobic somehow and I keep grabbing the 28. I was shooting Portra 160 VC and it wasn't that bright out, but I noticed the meter really jumping into the short exposure times. In all likelihood the beeps were telling me I'd just overexposed my film, but I wish I knew what all the alerts were for sure. I haven't had to adjust to a new camera since the Carter administration, so I'm just feeling a little out of my element. ;-)

-Rob