Re: [OM] Trip 35 repair

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip 35 repair
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:02:16 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, jamal ibrahim wrote:

> I tried to mark out how far the lens was screwed in on the
> 'mountain-infinity' setting but lost the position.  I am now not sure that I
> have put it back together at the correct screw in focus adjustment.  The
> lens turns when the focus dial is turned but I am not sure I have the
> adjustment right.

The standard technique is to scribe a line across the outer edge of the
lens and the barrel at the point where the two helicoids separate.  When
re-assembling the lens, make sure the lines line up so that you know you
have the correct starting thread. You'll also need to mark the position of
the focusing ring before you remove it.

> 2) Do you know, once I open up and get to the lens, if I screw the lens in
> all the way, how many turns would I unscrew it to get the correct focus
> adjustment, set to 'mountain-infinity'?

The easiest way to reset the focus is to put a translucent matte surface where
the film goes (an old focusing screen is good for this) and then look at
the image using a loupe.  When the image is sharp, you have your infinity
focus (assuming the object is at inifinity).
                                -mark