Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 05:52:48 +0100
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:36:16 -0800
Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I am thinking that a backpack might be a good idea for my
> > photography treks......
> >
> Bill,
> I bought a lowePro miniTrekker which i liked fine except most of
> the time it was too big for what i needed. It easily holds two
> bodies and many lenses and assessories plus tripod, extra clothes
> and lunch. So i bought a Micro Trekker 200 which still holds
> plenty.  It holds a body with 300/4 attached plus length to spare
> so probably would hold a big white, green or whatever. The Mini
> Trekker would easily do so. (Somebody could send me one and I'll
> check it out :>)

Ohyeah, where did I put your address again? The state was Utopia,
wasn't it, what was the zipcode... :)

(and damm, do I wish I had a big white to send around...or even to
use around here)

<SNIP>

> The bigger
> and much more expensive bags have this option but they are way more
> bag than i need or want. I rarely use the Minitrekker anymore as
> the micro trekker does what i need. For example i took it on a 5
> mile walk this afternoon with one body and perhaps 8 lenses and
> assorted filters, monopod, apple, dog biscuits, gloves, pull over,
> compass, binocs, etc. For your use with the big glass the mini
> trekker might be best.

The problem with these bags are, I think, that the gear is not very
accessible. I.e. they require that the bag be taken off, preferably
laid down flat on the back and zipped open. Much as I recognize the
useablity of backpacks for hiking, I find these trekkers (and other
backpacks) terribly inconvenient for purposes other than "walking to
scenic spot, taking out gear, spending 30+ min taking picture of
scenic spot, packing up".

I am waay to impulsive in my photography to do that. I need to carry
something where I just flip open a pocket to change lens or film,
then work whatever subject I have stumbled acros for a while, then
move on.

Yeah, I have a backpack, and I have tried hard. If I have a camera
with a lens around my neck, and extra stuff in the bag, I quickly
find that I never ever change the lens, and that the first time I
change film or filters, all films and filters move to whatever
pockets I may have in my pants or coat. Bummer...although it does
teach me which lenses I would absolutely never part with :)

I've been looking for something like that for a while, and have come
up empty-handed, but with the theory that what I want doesn't exist
and cannot be build...except in the form called a "photo-vest"
(something that the one with a fashion-sense has veto'ed in this
house, for some reason, every time it came up...)

Currently, I am experimenting with a LowePro MiniMag AW (which holds
an amazing number of OM stuff for a bag labelled "Mini", btw) in
possible combination with a waist belt. However it still does not
feel like "the thing", although the MiniMag AW does just fine as a
shoulder bag and the belt attach is usefull to prevent it from
bouncint too much around. I may end up trying one of the dedicated
trekker "belt packs" (Orion, or some such thing, I think) some day,
or a dediced modular belt.

I just don't operate well with a backpack, I observe. This does not
invalidate that I know plenty who love backpacks :)

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx