Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:49:27 -0800
> The problem with these bags are, I think, that the gear is not very
> accessible.....

I completely agree. Backpacks are not for everyone, every situation.
However for walking more than a few hundred meters/yards with more than
a little gear they are the only way to go. Especially if the trail is
rough. I just weighed the micro trekker, 7kg/15lbs. I could imagine that
swinging around my neck as i climb over the rocks down to the beach. For
any kind of serious hiking the load must be secured out of the way and
comfortable to carry. So I just carry the camera and maybe a lens in a
pocket and accept that I have to stop and smell the roses so to speak
every now and then. If Bill is packing his big glass into a lake for
example to shoot wildlife then a backpack is the only way to go. Also
anyone with a bad back will need a balanced load and not weight on one
shoulder. Of course on a backpacking trip it's one body and two lenses,
max.

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West