Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:35:21 -0500
Cc: o.greve@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 11/25/2002 11:35:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
o.greve@xxxxxxx writes:

> What I'd like to bring is (at least):
> OM-4Ti
> 24/2
> 35-80/2.8
> 100/2
> 65-200/4
> 300/4.5
> T32
> F280
> Video tripod
> Proper camerabag (probably the LowePro)

Well, that would certainly cover most situations, but there's a lot of
expensive stiff in there...

> However, I think I'll have to use my stealth-lower-cost line-up, consisting
> of something like:
> OM-4Ti (no way this one stays home!)
> 24/2.8
> 35-70/3.6
> 135/2.8 or 65-200/4
> T32
> Light weight, small tripod
> Worn down, small, low-cost, trashy looking back-pack

good choices - doesn't really give up too much over the expensive kit, but
certainly limits your financial risk

> So.... The choice of gear has already been heavily limited down to a small
> line-up like mentioned above, and I am certain I will bring the OM-4Ti, and
> will leave the 35-80/2.8 at home. The items I'm not too certain about,
> however, are the 24/2 and the 100/2. The latter being my favourite lens, and
> the former ranking very high on that list as well. Combine that with the
> added advantage of their speed over their mentioned alternatives, as well as
> my familiarity with those two lenses, and just the way I prefer these lenses
> over their alternatives, and you can probably imagine I'm still pondering
> what to do...
>
> I should also mention that we plan to go to the Amazon as well. Now, this is
> a dark and humid place, so the F2 would come in really handy (as does fast
> film, BTW ;) ), but on the other hand, I'm not certain the humidity would
> cause damage to these lenses. In terms of the "mugging risk", I will check
> to see if I can get sufficient travel insurance to cover a total loss, but I
> also wonder a bit about the humidity factor.
>
> Anyone who can give me some advice (be it by gut feeling or by experience)?
>
> I'm getting really partial towards bringing the following:
> OM-4Ti (no way this one stays home!)
> 24/2
> 35-70/3.6
> 100/2
> T32
> Light weight, small tripod
> Worn down, small, low-cost, trashy looking camouflage back-pack

My usual "light" kit is:

OM-4
24/2
50/1.4
100/2

If I were you. I'd consider this:

24/2.8
50/1.4 or 1.8
100/2

Do you really think you need the mid-range zoom? I don't use them much except
when I want to pack just one lens.

> ...however, I wouldn't want to do without the 24/2 nor the 100/2 after the
> trip...

I wouldn't risk both if you're that concerned. I think the 100/2 buys you more
than the 24/2, especially considering you have a 24/2.8

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings