Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:58:47 -0500
In a message dated 11/24/2002 11:52:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The problem with these bags are, I think, that the gear is not very
> accessible. I.e. they require that the bag be taken off, preferably
> laid down flat on the back and zipped open.

That is a hassle, I admit.  Tim Fitzharris, a columnist for Pop Photography,
recently wrote about the Lowepro "field and street" system of belt backs to
carry his p645 gear around and access it without having to take a backpack off.
 Nice idea, but I don't think it can handle a 300/2.8 like Bill is looking to
haul around.

In order to avoid dropping my pack every time I think I come across something
worth exploring, I use an empty 35mm slide frame as a composing mask.  Holding
it up to my eye allows me to get an idea if a composition will work, and
estimating the distance the mask is from eye tells me about what size lens to
try.  Using the mask, I can evaluate everything from a 24mm to 300mm field of
view fairly accurately. Then, if I really think I have something, I drop my
pack and grab the right lens.

Regards,

Greg L.