re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?

Subject: re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:34:06 -0800
> However, I think I'll have to use my stealth-lower-cost line-up, consisting
> of something like:
> OM-4Ti (no way this one stays home!)
> 24/2.8
> 35-70/3.6
> 135/2.8 or 65-200/4
> T32
> Light weight, small tripod
> Worn down, small, low-cost, trashy looking back-pack

Olaf, This seems like a good basic kit but personally i would cut
further especially if going off the beaten track. Or perhaps leave some
with in-laws.  Make sure the trashy pack has a sturdy straps. I would
consider lining the bottom with metal screen mesh if taking public
transport. take plastic garbage bags to cover if necessary. I would take
the 135 and macro 2x or diopter macro filters as the Amazon has lots of
macro possibilities if you can get off the beaten track. Perhaps a T20
instead of the T32. My travel kit was/is 28, 135, 2x. I borrowed diopter
close up filters. Due to recent purchases I might now go 24, 135, 2x
macro. If you are going by public transport go as light as possible. I
can't stress this enough or your life will be ruled by the stuff you are
carrying around. Plan on being physically wedded to your bag for the
entire time you are out in public or it _will_ disappear. An overloaded
hot tired gringo is an easy target.

mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West